Experiencing the College Lifestyle

Aleksia Johnson, Contributor

The University of Wyoming High School Summer Institute is a way for sophomores to experience and live the college life style. They get the opportunity to meet new people and find out what career path you want to do in the future. They get to live in the dorms and eat in the college cafeteria for 3 weeks. They get to experience what college classes are like, without the stress of homework. They get to have the opportunity to choose their classes and learn new skills. HSI also has benefits such as interacting with the sorority houses, learning about ACT scores, earning college credit, and getting a scholarship booster. 

There are plenty of activities that you get to do within 3 weeks. These activities include a scavenger hunt to explore the campus, a talent show, a lip sync battle and so much more. There are nighttime activities as well, such as going downtown, thrift store shopping and bowling. Sophmores will also get to experience field trips, such as going to the hot springs, going to the movie theatre and on campus presentations from professors. 

The University of Wyoming High School Summer Institute is an unplugged zone. This camp allows teenagers to take a break from the social media world, and experience what is right in front of them. They really take the time to get to know people and their interests. 

When living in the dorm, you get to have a roommate, but also your own privacy. Every dorm wing has a wing leader that catches you up on what is coming up in the next day or week, and they ask how they like the college experience. HSI has a buddy system in place for emergencies, whether that be your roommate, friend, or wing leader, you need to always have a “buddy.”  

“I recommend HSI because I met so many amazing people,” said Kani Miller, 12. “I made lifetime friends and I got an idea of what college is going to be like. It’s just overall fun.” Said Miller. 

“It really let’s you explore the college lifestyle but it doesn’t really give you as much independence, there are limits.” Said Zaudan Wawhkyung, 12 

The University of Wyoming High School Summer Institute can give sophomores the experience they need to learn more about different career paths that they might be interested in. They get to interact with other students their age and make lifelong relationships. Take risks and take any opportunities that come your way. And remember…The World Needs More Cowboys!