East Athletes Head to College

Alisha Corbin

Dylan Hatanelas recently signed with Midland University to continue his tennis career.

Jessika Nelson, Sports Editor

There’s no doubt that East High has great athletes. This year’s class of 2015 is no different. Receiving a college athletic scholarship is the answer to every young athlete’s dreams. In March three more Thunderbird athletes signed to play college sports.

Dylan Hatanelas signed with Midland University in Fremont, Nebraska, to play college tennis. After his recent car accident most college tennis coaches backed off after he suffered an injury to his right knee and shoulder. “I wanted to sign with Midland because the recruiting efforts by my coach surpassed all the others,” said Dylan. “He made it clear that I am the missing link to the championship team he is building. Also when I went on my visit I really meshed well with the guys.”

East High School is well-known for producing some of the state’s best football players. Bryan Bell is no exception, as he recently signed to play at Doane College. Bryan always wanted to play college football, but it looked unlikely after his junior year with the T-Birds. At the end of his senior year his dreams were once again in reach, earning all-state honors for a team that finished 8-3 and reached the 4A semifinals. ”I look forward to the chance of chasing down another championship title,” said Bryan. “Last year at East we won state, and it was the greatest feeling to know that you were part of the team that was number one in the state for that season. What I liked most was that it had that family-feeling similar to here at East. Most of the coaches there graduated from Doane, and they have nice facilities and it felt like the place where I would fit in best and be able to contribute to the team.”

Girls soccer has always been one of the best in the state, particularly in the last two years when the Lady Thunderbirds won back-to-back state titles. One of the keys to those championship teams is senior Micayla Ross. She recently signed with Bellevue University to continue her soccer career. “What I liked most would be the coach and the atmosphere,” she said. “He told me I could come in and be a starter possibly. I look forward to trying something new in a new town.”