Thunderbirds shine at World Language Day competition

Thunderbolt Staff, Reporter

As our ability to reach out around the world grows with every technological advance, clear communication is the key to a successful dialogue.

On March 9, six students from East High School competed in the annual World Language Day at the University of Wyoming.  This year’s theme was history.  Students competed against Laramie and Gillette high schools and performed poems and gave presentations in German.

Katy Smith and Alleynah Ronnau tied for first place in German 1, in the individual performance category, with poetry presentations.  Alleynah’s poem dealt with refugees as Germany currently has a large Syrian refugee population due to the civil war in Syria.  Katy’s poem dealt with “the master” in the theme of having to bow to power much as what happened during World War II with the Nazi regime.

Allyson Gardner placed first in the German 2 individual performance category, with her presentation on the concentration camps of World War II.

Also competing were Ezekiel Whisnant, Rickie Morrow and Ayden Phillips.

World Languages Day is Wyoming’s state championship of world language study. The organizers believe high school students should be given opportunities to excel in their talents, be it football, cheerleading, marching band, or world language learning. WLD provides an opportunity for friendly competition and allows students to learn from experts from around the world. This year UW hosted 307 students and 33 teachers from junior and high schools across Wyoming.