The student news site of Cheyenne East High School

Thunderbolt

Thunderbolt

Thunderbolt

Talking Their Way to the Top

Cheyenne East Speech and Debate competes at the National Tournament

East’s Speech and Debate national competitors pose with the trophies and plaques they won.

Cheyenne East is already known for holding state titles across many programs. This year they leveled up and obtained a national title as well. The East Speech and Debate team hit gold this year with their results at the National Speech and Debate Tournament. With 18 national qualifiers, they saw groundbreaking outcomes; a national champion, two more national finalists, a quarterfinalist for NSDA Student of the Year, and many other competitors who made it to elimination rounds. 

All qualifiers spent a week in Arizona, where they put in countless hours training and competing. There is one national champion for each event, an achievement strived for by people from every single state.  

“Competitors, coaches, and programs from around the country are aware of East High now,” said Marcus Viney, Speech and Debate Advisor. “And there is no sign we are slowing down. I thought last year’s results were impossible, but it looks like our team loves doing impossible things. I won’t ever try to put the lid back on the jar. East competitors are capable of more than I can imagine.” As both a teacher and coach for the program, Viney notes that the team continues to outperform themselves. Each year they continue to make more developments, and this year that happened to mean a national champion.  

“My absolute favorite moment had to be when I found out I broke to finals,” said Josh Thompson, 12, “My family was actually in Phoenix too, and we were all in the parking lot, and I heard my family screaming right behind me, right when Viney checked the postings. That was absolutely magical, running over and giving everyone hugs.” This year, Thompson was crowned the king of the speaking event, Expository. The event involves writing and performing a five-minute speech. His topic? Dad jokes! Thompson said it took about 6 hours to finish his first draft, and that’s just the start. As tedious as writing and blocking might’ve been, it all paid off when he placed first in the nation for the event, an outstanding accomplishment.  

“When you have been competing for a while, you and your friends start to notice and get excited about the smallest details that finalists present in their pieces,” said Zcherina Villegas, 12, “I especially loved freaking out with my friends Solomon Henderson and Ella Goodman.” At nationals, Villegas placed Top 60 in Oratory. Villegas performed a speech she wrote herself about America’s tendency to minimize real world issues. Sharing her passion with friends at this huge competition, they watched, learned, and exceeded.  

With so many of the Cheyenne East Speech and Debate competitors reaching final elimination rounds, this amount of success at the national level is very important to the program. As their 2024 season begins to gear up, only time will be able to show a continuance of hard work and passion by the students in this program.