The student news site of Cheyenne East High School

Thunderbolt

Thunderbolt

Thunderbolt

Gender Inequality Persists: A Call for Change

Gender inequality remains a large issue today, with ongoing differences seen in many aspects of life, including education, employment, and leadership roles. Despite substantial efforts to address these imbalances, much work remains to achieve true gender equality.

Within education, gender inequality continues to occur. While significant progress has been made in recent years, girls and women still face obstacles that delay their access to quality education. UNESCO reports that around 132 million girls worldwide are out of school, with girls being more likely to drop out due to factors like early marriage, lack of access to bathrooms and changing rooms, and cultural norms that prioritize boys’ education.

The gender pay gap continues to be an unbelievably blatant example of gender inequality in the workplace. On average, women worldwide earn only 77 cents for every dollar earned by men, according to data from the World Economic Forum. The difference is even more significant for women of color, transgender individuals, and those with disabilities. “I think gender shouldn’t be a factor in how much people are paid. I feel that it should be determined by their position, work ethic, and their education” Kailey Williams, 12. Makayla Trippel, 11 agreed with Kailey saying, “I think that people should have equal chances and equal rights, but if your work ethic is better than others you should be entitled to more rights and pay”.

Gender inequality is also evident in leadership positions across various areas. Women continue to be underrepresented in executive boardrooms, political offices, and other leadership roles. The Global Gender Gap Report from 2020 found that only 21% of senior management positions globally are held by women, and women make up only 25% of the members of national parliaments.

The lack of female representation in sports not only causes gender gaps, but also robs society of potential diverse perspectives and talents. “Women should have as much opportunity in sports as men do. Women’s sports aren’t watched nearly as much as men’s sports are” Murphie Dahill, 11. The men’s decathlon has been contested at every Olympics since 1912, but there is still no place at major championships for the women’s event according to Women in Sport.

Despite the persistence of gender inequality, there is still hope. A growing number of individuals, organizations, and governments are working tirelessly to end the gender gap. Attempts to bring forth women’s education, close the pay gap, and increase female representation in leadership positions are in motion.

However, true progress will require continued efforts at all levels of society. This includes passing and enforcing laws that promote gender equality, challenging stereotypes and biases, and developing an environment where everyone has equal opportunities to thrive. Gender inequality is not only a women’s issue but a societal one. Achieving gender equality benefits everyone by creating a more fair, prosperous, and balanced world. It is time for all of us to commit to taking down those barriers that continue gender inequality and work towards a future where every individual, regardless of their gender, can reach their full potential.