The student news site of Cheyenne East High School

Thunderbolt

Thunderbolt

Thunderbolt

Embracing Change or Refusing It?

Why the New Bell Schedule Benefits Everyone
Picture of the School Store Logo (Chaisley Tinney).Teachers, administrators, and students alike are torn and thrown into chaos as debates over the new, controversial, Friday schedule continue into the new school year.

There hasn’t been much ‘big’ change within East High’s schedule in the last couple of years, but one aspect that has the school divided is the additions of the enrichment and intervention times to the day, as well as all the four selected classes and advisement. This is because many people believe that the new schedule is too confusing and takes away vital time from teachers in the classroom. However, it is quite the opposite.

“We thought we wanted to make it a little bit different so it would give kids an opportunity to have time to do work,” Sam Mirich, principal, explains about the intentions of administration when implementing the changes, “(Advisement) therefore it gave us time on Friday to use those (PBIS) strategies… The enrichment in the afternoon—people want to have club meetings, organization meetings because throughout the week it is hard to find time,” Mirich said. After many different processes of brainstorming, testing, gathering feedback, and re-working, the administrators wanted to provide time for students to get back to what school is all about— learning core values and participating in social activities.

“It gives kids an opportunity to maybe try something they’re never tried or always wanted to try, or just to break up the monotony,” said Amy Guerney, a math teacher within the building. She has witnessed, first-hand, students who disliked and were against the new schedule try a new activity during the enrichment block and enjoy the activity period so much that it changed their mindset about the entire day.

“Keep an open mind,” said Ella Golwitzer, 10, “I think it’s just the change that people don’t like, and that’s why people are against it,” said Golwitzer when asked about what advice she would give to students who were still trying to warm up to the new schedule. “In my opinion, it’s going to work out better in the long run.”

The East High Collaborative Decision Making team, comprised of both administrators and teachers, is working towards a solution to make Fridays more enjoyable and less confusing to everyone in the upcoming semester.