Thunderbolt

Anybody and Everybody for President

Steph Sommer, Senior Editor

Kanye for President 2020! #OprahForPresident. Run The Rock 2020.

More than seven celebrities have claimed they are going to run for president in 2020. This list includes Oprah Winfrey, Kanye West, Dwayne “The Rock” Johnson, Tim Tebow, and more celebs from different areas like sports, movies, and music.

Celebrities are beginning to speak out against the current government, and claiming that they are going to come in and fix it. Oprah believes it is women’s time to stand up and know they can be successful, not just men. The Rock claims his campaign would be “a great opportunity to help people.”

“Oprah has a very presidential attitude,” claims junior Camden Schmidt. “She came from very humble roots and she understands how an everyday person works.”

“Tim Tebow,” said Cameron Gage, junior. “He’s not a spoiled celebrity who is just on TV all the time.”

Many credit Trump’s success in his 2017 presidential campaign with the long list of celebrities choosing to run. His title as a celebrity business man seems to have driven many other celebs into running their own campaign, in hopes of success much like Trump.

“This past elections shows that they’re not going to really risk anything,” said sophomore Justin Woolsey. “They already have a steady job and a good life. So, they might as well take it to the next level.”

In reality though, celebrities have always run for president. Ronald Reagan, the 40th president of the United States, was a famous actor before he became the leader of the free world. Other presidents were famous football players, lawyers, and doctors before their campaigns.

“You could say current politicians are celebrities- Barack Obama, Paul Ryan,” said Schmidt. “Now it’s just stepping more into the entertainment industry because they’re being put into the spotlight more and more.”

The real question, when it comes to deciding who to vote for, is who will do a better job running the government- celebrities or politicians?

“I don’t think celebrities should be president.” said senior Kelly Marston. “They don’t know what they’re doing. We need politicians who understand the workings of government. Being president isn’t an easy job. It requires a lot of responsibility.”

Since it seems like just anybody and everybody can run for president, we wanted to know which teacher at East the Thunderbirds want to run for president.

“Mr. Nolan would be a great president,” said Gage.

“Mr. Viney or Mrs. Brantz,” said Woolsey. “They’re both really chill and always support everybody’s opinions. They always make sure they get everything done.”

There were many different answers, but one in particular was brought up multiple times: Mr. Atkinson.

“Mr. Atkinson,” says Schmidt. “He has a good knowledge of how the world works, and I agree a lot with his political views.”

“Mr. Atkinson, we align ideologically,” said Marston. “Also, he understands foreign policy. He’s a history teacher, and I think having a knowledge of history is really important to avoid repetition.”

Here’s the only problem: Mr. Atkinson would never run for president.

“Being the president is the most difficult job in the country,” said Mr. Atkinson. “I am not qualified. I would need to become much more knowledgeable in order to be successful. I’m not a good public speaker, and I am terrible at censoring myself.”

So if not Mr. Atkinson, who? Who will be our next president? Oprah? The Rock? Who are you going to vote for President of the United States in 2020?