The Lesser of Two Evils

Trump gives his supporters a reason for him to be our country’s next leader

Yara Pena, News Reporter

On October 3, 2016, a Trump Rally took place in Loveland, Colorado and a few East High students stopped by to join the cheering crowd.

Sophomore Sarah Carey and junior Seth Oates were among the thousands who attended the rally.

“I thought it was cool to be in the same room as Trump because I obviously support him,” said Carey.

“We went there four hours early and there was already 10,000 people lined up,” said Oates. “When he was speaking, there was probably 10,000 in the arena and 5,000 people waiting in line just to see him.”

The feelings these two students experienced from the event itself was “a ton of excitement because, for most of the people there, it was their first rally,” said Carey.

“Everyone was for Trump. There was really no protestors, and everyone had one goal: to elect Trump,” said Oates. “I just think it would be a good experience because my grandma went and saw JFK before he was president.”

In East High School, like across Wyoming, a number of students are Trump supporters for several reasons.

“He has some good ideas like deporting people that aren’t here legally because they’re taking American jobs,” said junior Maranda Main.

Like Wyoming, some Trump supporters are throwing their vote to Trump as a protest against Clinton.

“He is the better of all the candidates that ran originally and I don’t agree with Hillary Clinton at all,” said Carey.

Agreeing with Carey, Oates went on to say, “I don’t like Hillary Clinton, and he’s the lesser of two evils…I like cutting taxes because I hate taxes.”

“I like his overall pride for America and the ideals like bringing trade back to America rather than selling them out to all these other countries to create American products we’re then using,” said junior Slade Raine. “(I support) not getting rid of immigration as a whole but rather making it more difficult. (I support) having legal immigration rather than having these illegal immigrants that are living off of American’s taxes, and they’re getting welfare and other things to help them live and they’re not necessarily putting back into America.”

Somehow Trump may be doing something right or out of the ordinary that gives him such dedicated supporters.

“He says what the people want to hear; he’s a people pleaser,” said Main.

Trump is making a name for himself with a frustrated voter base, but some see it as an anti-Hillary vote. “I think it’s because they don’t want Hillary Clinton in office,” said Carey.

He also tends to speak about extreme approaches to solving problems. “I think it’s because he is an extreme guy; because of the extreme ideals that he has and what he wants he gets extreme supporters,” said Raine.

Different people have different political beliefs, but do these East High students have the same political beliefs as their friends and family?

Because their families influence their political beliefs, young voters are often very opinionated about their beliefs with each other. When they’re with their friends, they don’t like to talk about politics because of the problems it may cause. Trump’s beliefs and his ideas gets his supporters hooked and believing in those same ideals. Will this dedication make Donald Trump the next president of the United States?