Lack of Knowledge Leads to Freak-out

Rhiannon Thomalla, Print Editor

Are you one of the hundreds of kids freaking out and losing your mind thinking that you lost some vacation time? Well you’re not alone. Many students don’t realize that even though our breaks are shorter this year, we are still going to school just as many days if we were to get out at the normal time due to the schedule change. The school boards attempt to get us out of school early caused a lot of uproar from the students and community. Though the students didn’t like it, the school board had good reasons behind the change.

“What drove us to change the schedule was to try and get out of school earlier than usual,” said East High assistant principal Mr. Cress. “One thing that made us want to do this was all of the construction that we have to do in our district and since it’s warm we can get it done faster. The second reason is a lot of our sports camps are going on while we’re still in school. We’re one of the only schools in the state, there’s only one or two total, which go as late as we do.”

After talking with some students about why or why not they liked the schedule change, many did not know why the schedule was changed thus explaining their anger about having their breaks shortened. Once they were given the reasoning behind the change, some of their attitudes began to change.

“I like the change because I like having the shorter breaks more sporadically than having just a couple of long breaks here and there.” said junior Maddie Gardner.

Though some began to like the change and the reason behind the change, others still weren’t altering their opinion.

“I do not like it because it shortened all of my breaks,” said senior Gavin Sheamansmith. “This gives me less time to see family because to see most of my family I have to go out of the state. Since it was shortened I got to fly out for one day, and then come back the next.”

For the kids who weren’t so happy with the schedule this year, the schedule for next year has been changed back to the original set up. However, there’s chances for a change in the future.

“There is a calendar committee that meets and they set it for like three years in advance so there’s always a chance for it to change,” said assistant principal Mr. Cress. “Especially since we will get through it once, people may look back at it and want to try it again.”

If you are one of the students still worried about losing vacation time then take a careful look at the schedule. You will see that you are not in fact losing any of your vacation time, nor are you going to school longer, you’re just simply going to have a longer summer break.