First Day of School Hopes to Kick Off Spirit Filled Year

Evie Brady, Assistant Perspectives Editor

Your stomach tightens and your palms start to sweat as you walk through the door. Terrified, you look around the lobby in hopes of finding one friendly face. The unknown reaches out and grabs you as you stare across a sea of strangers. It’s the first day of school and everyone braces themselves for new schedules, homework, and making friends.

East High kicked off it’s 2015-2016 school year on August 25 with a bang under the new slogan ‘Tradition Starts Here’. As the doors opened on a new school year, East High hoped to get students, new and old, involved with even more school spirit then ever before.

Involvement in school activities and sports is one of the easiest ways to settle into a new school year. EHS offers numerous clubs and athletic opportunities. These include after school clubs like FBLA, in school elective classes like Drama, and East High’s many sports teams. East High faculty hopes that the slogan ‘Tradition Starts Here’ will encourage students to foster pride in their school and a willingness to participate in some of the many clubs and sports that East High has to offer.

Getting involved at East High can be as simple as going to a band concert, school play, or football game to support our fellow T-Birds in everything they do. The first day of school might have introduced ‘Tradition Starts Here’, but getting involved over the course of the next school year is up to the students themselves. If you’re looking for an opportunity to settle into the T-Bird way, then joining a club, a sports team, orĀ  school-sponsored event is the thing for you.

The first day of school welcomed a new freshman class, several new students across all grades, and new faculty. School activities and events are a simple way to meet all of these new editions to the T-Bird family. And for all of you new students out there, getting involved in school activities and events is the perfect way to get a sense for the T-Bird lifestyle while making many new friends.

This first day of school was a great way to start the school year. In the words of Horizons Office Assistant Principal Mrs. Bartlett, “Let’s make this school year epic!”