Bartlett Awarded Assistant Principal of the Year

Emilygrace Piel

EHS assistant principal Fawn Bartlett visits with sophomores Seth Green and Cosette Stellern. Bartlett was recently named as Wyoming’s Assistant Principal of the Year.

Emilygrace Piel, Senior Editor

The Wyoming Association of Secondary School Principals (WASSP) recently named EHS Assistant Principal Fawn Bartlett as the State Assistant Principal of the Year. Mrs. Bartlett has been with Laramie County School District #1 for 13 years and has served as an Assistant Principal at East High for nine.

“Honestly, I didn’t think I had a chance of receiving that,” Mrs. Bartlett said in an interview with the LCSD1 Informer. “I just do my job and I felt there were other people who do more than me. It was a surprise.”

Some of the requirements for the award include: advocating for children, improving student learning, implementing school goals and objectives, anticipating and resolving emerging problems, and involving community in the school.

Mrs. Bartlett grew up in Wyoming and attended school in Manderson until she spent her first two years of college at Eastern Wyoming College in Torrington before earning her degree Eastern Montana College in Billings, Montana. She originally planned to become a veterinary tech, but when she met her husband, Dave Bartlett, he encouraged her to go into education. “I guess I wasn’t that set on becoming a veterinary technician if I was convinced by Dave to go into education,” Bartlett continued. “I still focused on science, which kept me in the biology field.”

The National Association of Secondary School Principals honors one Junior High and one High School assistant principal each year from each of the 50 states, the District of Columbia, and the Department of Defense Education Activity Schools. Six national finalists are selected from the pool of administrators in August from which one national winner will be chosen in October during National Principals’ Month, the national winner will receive a $5,000 grant and the other five finalists will receive a $1,500 grant. All the winner will be honored at even in Washington D.C. in September where they will meet with their state’s legislatures and discuss legislation that impacts education, participate in professional development and networking opportunities with NASSP staff and their peers, and be officially recognized for their achievement.