Free Speech or Hate Speech

Brittany West, Perspectives Editor

Diesel trucks with billowing black smoke and an obnoxious rumbling sound, barrel down the road, the Confederate flag trailing behind, leaving a wake of hate and bigotry. They then make their way into the “hate-free” school parking lot, with little regard for how their flag affects the students around them.

Accusations of racism have become a volatile talking point because of our technospheric society. Due to the lack of diversification at East, racial consideration and sensitivity are missing from the student body. Most of us are misinformed about the history of the Confederate flag, and how it is interpreted by fellow students. The Confederate flag itself doesn’t stand for racism, but it does commemorates a time and belief that dehumanized an entire race.

The Confederate flag, which stands as an emblem for racism and bloodshed, is being ratified in our school parking lot, and throughout Cheyenne. The flag represented southern pride during the Civil War fought in the United States from 1861 to 1865. The flag also portrayed oppression, discrimination, and separation.

“An increasing hostility on the part of the non-slaveholding states to the institution of slavery, has led to a disregard of their obligations…”.This statement came from South Carolina in their declaration of disunion. Slavery was one of the main reasons the South wanted to abdicate from the Union.

Mississippi stated in 1862 that slavery was the “greatest material interest of the world.” Slavery was viewed as a necessity, and engrained as part of Mississippi’s culture.

Although noble in its name, Southern pride can be seen as undermining to the progress of racial equality. The term was created during the Civil War, one of the most racist points in U.S history. Too often declaring Southern pride is dismissal of our racist history, and celebrates the separation of the Union.

“I support the confederate flag because it is a part of my heritage,” said junior Connor Wilson. “My ancestor, William Wallace, fought in the Civil War. I am not racist, and it would bother me if anyone thought I was. I am a very accepting person, and I will like you no matter what color your skin is.”

Connor is proud of his heritage, and he knows that the Confederate flag is badly interpreted throughout the school.

“Black students do see it as being racist,” said Wilson.

The Confederate soldiers fought for state rights, mainly the right to own slaves. Although some slave owners respected their slaves, others didn’t. Their slaves were raped, used, abused, all for the purpose of saving money and helping the economy. What is the south so proud about?

“I feel offended because of the reasoning behind it,” said junior Kayla Culley. “It’s used out of context. It’s almost like they are using it to rub it in someone else’s face. There is no purpose behind it.”

While East is a great school, there are some improvements we can make when it comes to how we affect our fellow classmates. Banning the Confederate flag from our parking lot would be a great first step to making sure every Thunderbird is equally proud to be a Thunderbird.