YOU’RE FIRED!!!

YOURE+FIRED%21%21%21

Landon Bosch

A notorious name, well-talked about around the school, and fun it’s no wonder East history and government teacher Mr. Berg’s The Apprentice leaves a lasting impression on students.  In a classroom centered on your ability to make history and government come to life through group projects, The Apprentice can teach students what an average classroom can’t.

“The world goes on if you’re fired and hopefully they learn from that mistake,” said Mr. Berg

With his 1000th student projected to be fired, this year will be a notable time for the history of The Apprentice.  Once a student is fired, they continue to help their group create projects to earn a grade for the class.

After a decade of hosting, Mr. Berg has seen many projects created by his students.  During the game, Mr. Berg sees his students come together to complete the weekly tasks that incorporate history and government topics.

“The Apprentice is participation and accountability. It makes it interesting for students to interact,” stated Mr. Berg.

When a new task is revealed, students have one day after that class to plan a project, come up with ideas and then one class period to finish the project. The fast pace of the game makes students have to work together and dedicate time outside of the classroom.  To win a task, you must impress judges that vary from students, teachers, and public officials, with an outstanding original idea.

“Can’t handle stress, can’t handle Berg,” said Drew Brennan, a past Apprentice player and senior at East.

Even if you don’t earn the impressive title of The Apprentice, students still engage in the game and leave the class with a sense of competitiveness they will face once they are out of high school.

Bringing a new and exciting approach to teaching, Berg was recognized with the VFW state award winning at the state level, next he will have the chance to compete on a national level.