A Memory Lives On

Evie Brady

Colby Thyarks and Joel Bridenstine pose with the new and improved EHS band trailer

Evie Brady, Co-Senior Editor

The EHS band department has just been the recipient of a gracious donation. With the help of the primary donors, the Greenwalt family, and the owners of Chadwick Trailers, former EHS band parents, the East High band department is now the proud owner of a brand new trailer for their equipment.

The Greenwalts’ son, John Douglas Greenwalt, was a former EHS student and trumpet player in the band. In 1999, while in his junior year of college, John was tragically killed by a drunk driver. The first band trailer, also donated by the Greenwalt family, was a memorial for John and featured a ‘Don’t drink and drive’ slogan on the back. This new trailer was donated to replace the worn down first trailer and continue to honor John’s memory. The Greenwalts graciously paid for half of the trailer while the school matched their donation to complete the purchase. Chadwick Trailers, a local company, helped to finance the purchase as well by providing another discount on the price.

The new trailer is brand-new and bigger than its predecessor, allowing the band more flexibility when they travel. The band department had the privilege of having input in the size and specifications of the trailer before purchase, and the bigger size has given them the capacity to travel with all the equipment they need.

“When we go [to band camp] we take ladders, stands, all the percussion instruments. Sometimes we take sleeping gear and suitcases and all the uniforms and hats, so we decided to go a little bit bigger so we could get everything in there,” said co-band director Ms. Jaxine Barhite.

In the wake of such a tragedy, the new band trailer is a beautiful way to continue to honor John Greenwalt’s memory while providing opportunities for other band students like him. The generosity of the Greenwalt family is immensely appreciated by the entire EHS band department and the school as a whole. John’s memory will continue to inspire not only the EHS band students and directors, but the entire EHS student body.