State String Clinic

Avalon Skinner, News Editor

A reminder of the orchestra talent in Wyoming youth played out across Jackson, Wyoming at the end of October when high school students from across the state gathered there for three days to improve their technical and orchestral skills. These students were separated into three orchestras-A, B, and C-and each one practiced either three or four pieces for two days. At the end of the second day, the orchestras put on a concert for teachers, fellow students, and local Jackson residents.

Over thirty East High students participated in this amazing event.

“The best part is always the concert,” Junior Stephani Sommer said. “All of your practice and hard work from the past two days really pays off. You have gone from different players and schools to one single orchestra.”

Before the concert, students in A-orchestra must audition for where they sit within their orchestra. Traditionally, the first chair goes to the player that is recognized as the best instrumentalist. These auditions determine this.

“I feel like the chair audition always teaches me the most because it’s on the spot,” said Sommer. “It’s always stressful but I learn how to handle myself better with auditions like that.”

This experience is different for all that attend and is unique to everyone there.

The best part was, according to freshman Megan Weidler, was being with people that wanted to be there. “It was good to be with a bunch of people who knew how to play and to listen to their ideas on how to be better was really exciting.”

But the students also gained all different and specific skills during the clinic.

“I don’t think anyone experiences this in the same way. We all learn different techniques and make different friends,” said Sommer. “Sure you may have similarities with some other players, but I think everyone takes something different away from the clinic.”

But both Weidler and Sommer agreed that the clinic is a positive experience for all of the students that attend the clinic.

Weidler said Wyoming students should attend the clinic to be able to interact and to meet each other and meet new people.

“You’ll be playing with these people for the rest of high school,” Sommer agreed. “So you can work together to improve and bond over something that you have in common, which is music.”

All of the East students that attended look forward to the clinic each year, since it gives them a chance to improve and look towards their futures as musicians.