We’ve Got Spirit, Yes we do!

Avalon Skinner, News Editor

V-I-C-T-O-R-Y! Victory is our battle cry! The halls of East High echoed with crazy school spirit all in anticipation of the annual homecoming week. Favorite college t-shirts, dresses from the 1920’s, and black and blue face paint all filled the halls throughout the week. The excitement built up daily, until the game against Laramie on Friday night and spilled over to Saturday’s dance.

“This year was pretty good,” said senior Kara Trimels. “For my senior year, I thought it was pretty cool.”

Many people dress up every year for all of the different spirit days that allow students to become creative and expressive.

“It gets everybody on the same page,” said senior Mac Rogers. “It like unites East. Participating in spirit week is super fun. I’ve done it all four years. I’ve never paid for homecoming.”

He doesn’t understand the lack of spirit that people have. “I think people want to look good, so if they dress up, they’re going to look dumb. But if we all look stupid together, then it’s great.”

Movie night was a new addition to spirit week and it was a nice break from the high-energy of the rest of the days.

“I thought it was really fun, sophomore Zoe Mares said. “It was just really relaxing and comfortable.”

To close out the week before the two main events, the homecoming parade was brought back for the first time in many years.

“I liked that fact that so many different groups were represented in the parade,” said sophomore Jimi Hayes, who was in the parade as a part of the FBLA float. He stressed the diversity and variety within the school and said he wished to see more of that in activities and next year’s parade, while also incorporating it into the school spirit itself. The parade featured almost every organization or club that is a part of the school, uniting kids from all across campus.

The week culminated in the 1920’s New York themed dance that allowed the halls of East to be labeled with famous street signs from New York and a red carpet leading students to the dance.

“It was so much fun,” senior Allyie Strickler said. “It was awesome.”

Freshman Shannon Gallagher said the week allowed her to create new friendships with people she normally would not have met. She also said she is looking forward to her future homecoming weeks.

“The kids get together and they feel really close and they can have a good time together,” she said.

However, all of this excitement the students showed through the week all disappeared when the East High football team didn’t carry out their victory against Laramie, losing with a score of 31-21.