ThunderShack Takes out Morning Hunger

Rhiannon Thomalla, Print Editor

It’s that time of the year again, ThunderShack is back! Every year the Culinary I and Culinary II classes come out with a new menu to serve during first and second period classes. This year’s ThunderShack opened Monday, April 11, and will be available until May 19. The menu this year consists of 12 different items that are healthy and tasty.

“I think the food this year is pretty good,” says senior Hannah Lewis. “It could use some improvements with less banana and mixed berry flavors, but other than that it is pretty good. I do think it would be better if there were some more variety though.”

Even though the ThunderShack has only been open for a short time now, the students have been working hard every day to prepare snacks for kids all over the school and run a good business.

“We are just getting started, but I would say we are pretty successful so far,” says culinary teacher Mrs. Eldridge. “These past couple of days, sales have been higher and more successful than usual at this time in past years. It keeps the kids busy and it’s a bell to bell, so I would say so far so good.”

Running ThunderShack is not an easy process. An important part of running the business is making sure you serve items that interest kids while being able to make profit on those tasty items.

“I think this is the best menu we have offered since we had to change for the USDA guidelines,” says Mrs. Eldridge. “There are four or five popular items this year. The most popular items are probably the burritos, parfaits, and the drinks. We try to earn 28% to 42%. Some are much more profitable to us than others.”

ThunderShack is open for five more weeks. If you see a runner come into one of your classes why not try one of the popular items and give them some feedback about your tasty treat? Enjoy!