Lahnert Leads Wrestlers To Third Place At State

Steven Lahnert is ready to start his match at the Centarus tournament.

Jessika Nelson, Sports Editor

Throughout the season, the Thunderbird wrestlers have had a consistent showing, which has lead to them being one of the top 4A teams in Wyoming, and one of the most consistent T-Birds has been senior Steven Lahnert.

The Thunderbirds stepped up to the challenge in early January and won the Shane Shatto Memorial Tournament, held in Douglas, which helped to set the tone for the rest of the season. The boys spent the rest of the season preparing for state.

Lahnert established his dominance early in the season by winning the Shane Shatto tournament, finishing the weekend 5-0, with three pins, in the 152 weight class.

Senior Kevin Doughty placed second in the Shatto at 195. Junior Bryton Winchell finished third at 113. Senior Trenton Eldridge and junior Seth Green, at 138 and 160 respectively, both finished in fifth place. Freshmen Shawn Smith, at 120, sophomore Tommy Neal, at 145, and senior Tyler Shaw, at 170, all finished in sixth.

Lahnert followed up his impressive Shatto championship by winning the Ron Thon Tournament, considered by many to be the real state wrestling championships. The annual Ron Thon, held in Riverton, is an open tournament, meaning 4-A wrestlers can face opponents from the other three classes. It’s a weekend of the best of the best.

At the state tournament, held in Casper on February 26-27, Lahnert finished his season with his biggest win – taking a state title at 145 pounds.

“Winning a state title was like nothing I ever experienced before,” said the all-state wrestler. “I felt like I could do anything. I feel like I can take on any challenge in life with hard work. I felt as if I was a celebrity.”

Junior Seth Green placed second at the state tournament in the 160 weight class and earned all-state recognition.

Sophomore Gunner Bartlett placed second at the 152 weight class and also received all-state.

Junior Bryton Winchell finished in fourth place at 120 pounds, senior Trenton Eldridge placed third at 132, and sophomore Tommy Neal finished in fifth place in the 138 weight class.

Senior Tyler Shaw brought home fifth place in the 160 weight class, sophomore Jake Fogg took fourth in the 182 weight class, and senior Kevin Doughty won third place in the 195 weight class.

As a team the boys placed third with 164.5 points. Green River won the state title, ending Gillette’s 13-year run.