State Superintendent Gets Artsy

Courtney Walston, Senior Editor

Wyoming Department of Education superintendent Jillian Balow paid East a visit on October 6 to sit in on a project in Mrs. Newman’s art classes. The surrealistic art exhibit, supplied by the University of Wyoming Ann Simpson Art Mobile, “travels across the 97,914 square miles of Wyoming sharing museum quality artwork with communities that may otherwise have limited access to original art,” according to the University of Wyoming art museum website. Mrs. Balow saw this as an opportunity to see hands-on projects working in Wyoming classrooms.

“This is the first time that I’ve been in the (East) art wing,” said Balow. “I was invited to be a part of this lesson in particular, and I’m just really interested in talking not only to the students and the instructors but really getting a feel for the content of the class.”

Balow hoped to see students take charge of their own learning and develop specialized skills.

“Of course, this is a really engaging activity and I’m actually looking to learn from the students”, stated Balow. “I am not an artist by trade or anything so I’m really looking forward to the discussion and the learning from them about their impressions of surrealistic art.”

Balow said this activity featured 15 pieces of surrealistic art from seven nations around the world and was sure to bring a large benefit of insight to the participating students, as well as Balow herself.

“It’s a new voice, a new theme. I think that’s always not only exciting for kids but it also makes them think maybe a little more carefully about what they’re doing in the class,” stated Balow. “We have art standards that all students need to reach, but on top of that, and most important for secondary, is our success-curriculum, and that includes classes such as this.”