Raise Your Voice to Raise Awareness

Matt Montoya

Led by their own referee, the T-Birds proudly sport pink in support of breast cancer awareness at the Evanston football game on October 15.

Evie Brady, Assistant Perspectives Editor

Okie Blanchard Stadium was expected to be a sea of blue on October 15 when the Evanston Red Devils’ football team rolled into town. Instead, the T-Birds switched out their blue for varying shades of pink.

The East High Thunderbirds hoped, that by wearing pink at their game, they could raise awareness for not only breast cancer but all cancers. “We just wanted to make sure that we did something fun and that our kids could be a part of it and enjoy it [while] at the same bringing awareness to a great cause,” said Jerry Schlabs, East High Athletic Director.

According to Breast Cancer Action (www.thinkbeforeyoupink.org), the tradition of wearing pink ribbons for breast cancer awareness began in the fall of 1991 when the Susan G Komen Breast Cancer Foundation used the pink ribbon for the first time, handing pink ribbons out to runners in its annual New York City Race for the Cure. In 1992 the editor and chief of Self magazine, Alexandra Penney, was looking for a way to make the magazine’s second annual Breast Cancer Awareness issue even more popular than the first. Penney, drawing inspiration from 1992’s title “The Year of the Ribbon”, due to an upsurge in charity ribbons including yellow ribbons for soldiers overseas and red ribbons for those suffering from AIDS, decided to create a ribbon of her own. With the help of Estee Lauder senior corporate vice president Evelyn Lauder, a breast cancer survivor herself, Penney devised a plan to put her ribbon on cosmetic counters across the nation. The color for their new ribbon – pink.

By wearing pink, East High students are able to show support for those affected by breast cancer in their community and across the country. “What we did at our game was that Susan Komen [representatives] came and they set up a table and they handed out bandanas and information,” said Schlabs. “They really shared stuff with the community about what is going on and about what the community members can do to help with the fight against breast cancer. So, it’s just a really positive thing for everybody.”

Approximately 1 in 8 women in the US will be diagnosed with breast cancer at some point in their lifetime. As of 2012 there were an estimated 2,975,314 women, in the US alone, living with breast cancer. Based on data from the years 2008-2012, 21.9 women per every 100,000 women die of breast cancer per year. October, Breast Cancer Awareness Month, is meant to be a month to raise awareness for breast cancer and the startling statistics that go with it. Breast Cancer Awareness Month also gives people a chance to provide support to those fighting breast cancer, survivors of breast cancer, and the families of those affected by breast cancer.

East High students know that breast cancer affects everyone, including people in their school. “Mrs. (Karen) Pope, who’s a teacher here, suffers from breast cancer,” said Schlabs. “She’s been so incredibly brave and strong, and she’s still here teaching with us, [so] we’re really happy to help her with that cause, even if it’s a small amount.”

While sporting a little pink and raising a lot of awareness might have been the themes of the night, the T-Birds still had to face the Red Devils. The T-Birds took control early and blew the Red Devils out of the water, 24-0, with two touchdown interceptions and two long pass plays.