Thunderbirds in Action: Sports Update

Maddie Gardner

The 2015 version of the East volleyball machine is once again ranked as #1.

Rhiannon Thomalla, Assistant Editor

Lady Thunderbird Golf:

The 2015 Lady T-bird golfers have found the rough a few too many times this season. As of September 18 they have competed in six invites and will wrap up their season with the conference championships in Sheridan on September 24. Senior Mariah Farden has paced the East golfers this season and, often, her competition. “I have had two wins and three 2nd place finishes,” said Mariah. “I play number 1 girl, so if I do bad or good it’ll make or break the team.”

T-Bird’s Volleyball:

The Lady T-birds have aced their season this year. As of September 19, the girls rest in 1st place with another win against Gillette bringing them to 14 wins and 1 loss. They still have 15 games remaining in the season and continue to give their competitors some tough competitions.

Girls Swimming:

The girls swimming has currently competed in nine swim meets this season and still have 13 meets left for their season. Swimmer seniors Ryann Shoene and Brittney Dye, junior Suzi Keller, and sophomores Kelly Farris and MaKenna Smith have all qualified for state this far in the season. At this point there have been no qualifiers for diving. Currently the girls are ranked eight out of 12.

T-bird Tennis:

The 2015 young Thunderbird tennis team has fought with youth and inexperience this season. Currently they have competed in 13 matches and have 5 matches remaining. “I feel like we are doing well,” said junior Alisha Corbin. “We have a lot of new players this year who have never played tennis before, so we haven’t won many matches. But we are all learning and getting better.”