Talented T-Birds

Evie Brady, Co-Senior Editor

After weeks of rehearsal, the day finally arrives. You stand waiting for your act to be announced as the hosts crack jokes and the stage is set. At the sound of your name, you nervously step on to the stage. It’s finally your chance to face the judges and showcase what makes you unique. Winning means the chance to perform in front of an even larger audience.

Hilarious hosts, a panel of judges, fantastic prizes, and amazing talent-it sounds like a description of the hit TV show ‘America’s Got Talent’, but this is East High’s Got Talent, EHS’s annual talent show. Every year, students audition for a spot in the show and every year only a few are selected to battle it out onstage in the hopes of winning top prize. This year’s multi-talented lineup featured 16 acts in areas ranging from dance to comedy, and the grand prize was the chance to perform at the EHS pep rally.

East High’s Got Talent is an annual event put on by the EHS Student Council to showcase the diversity and talent amongst East High students. This year, ticket profits from the show went towards the Make a Wish Foundation. The show had a great turnout with an audience of about 80 people which helped Student Council raise over $400 for Make a Wish. Student Council also provided the show with two hilarious hosts from amongst their ranks-Avalon Skinner and Stephanie Sommer. They had the audience in stitches between acts with their jokes and Mad Libs.

“I love emceeing because it gives me a chance to get the spirit where it needs to be so that everyone can enjoy the various acts,” said Skinner. “I love attending the talent show because it shows the variety and diversity of our school.”

While Skinner and Sommer kept the audience entertained, the performers warmed up backstage. Amongst the many talented acts in the show were singers (some performing original songs), musicians, dancers, and even a humorous interpretation. The talent show also hosted a panel of three judges to help decide the top four acts. All of the performers put their best foot forward for their acts and there was no shortage of talent. The judges had a hard choice to make when it came time to pick the winners.

Sarah Wessenberg and Caleb Daley finished in 3rd place with their performance of a self-choreographed dance routine to ‘A Million Reasons’ by Lady Gaga. In 2nd place was Saga McAllister, who performed her original song ‘Dirty Laundry’. Connor Sears charmed his way to a championship with his humorous interpretation of ‘Norman…Is That You?’ based on the screenplay by George Schlatter. Best in Show was Broghan Foster, who performed ‘That’s All Right’ by Elvis Presley. The top three performances all won gift cards, while Best in Show was given the opportunity to perform at the pep rally.