2016 Hits New Highs

And New Lows

Stephani Sommer and Avalon Skinner

2016 brought about all sorts of changes and new problems. The Zika virus affected many, Adele’s return, Leonardo DiCaprio’s Oscar, and much more, all received headlines. Some of East High’s more popular topics were:

2016 Presidential election

“The election was a major change, with a lot of unhappy people and very happy people,” said sophomore Maeve Knepper.

While individual peoples’ reactions varied, what really was surprising was how the entire country reacted.

“It was just like really crazy. It shows how divided this country really is,” said sophomore Zoey Mares.

Obviously the election brought about new ideas and opinions. “We could all become orange,” joked senior Claire Olson.

While some focused on the possible outcomes of the current election, others looked forward to the future elections.

“Kanye saying he was going to run for president in 2020 was great,” said freshman Jason Montoya.

Environmental Concerns

“Manatees were removed from the endangered list. That makes me so happy, they’re like mermaids of the sea,” said Olson.

A relevant issue is climate change, which Trump believes is caused by humans, and he also claims that clean water for the nation will be his top priority.

Games and Media

“You can’t forget Pokémon Go,” said Knepper.

And while that raged the cyber world, movies were also a big deal.

“Definitely Star Wars, that was really big. All of the new music, Twenty One Pilots and Justin Bieber were big,” said Mares.

Sports Moments

“The Cavaliers winning the NBA championship. LeBron is my favorite player and I think it’s good that he got a title for Cleveland,” commented Montoya. “And the Cubs won the World Series.”

However, not all major things were good in some people’s minds. Some students would rather just leave 2016 behind.

Fashion

“Floppy hairstyles, bucket hats, and Zika. It killed bees,” said Olson. “I’m over that.”

Memes

“Harambe. He can stay in 2016,” said Knepper.

Dance Moves

“The dab. I hate that thing,” said Mares.

Even if these things are brought with us into 2017, we need to prepare for a great upcoming year that hopefully offers just as many memorable moments as the last.